First English Lutheran Church Closing

Office Hours

Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm

first english lutheran church of fairmount, Nd held its closing service on june 2nd of 2024

Scroll down to see pictures of the service, read about the history of the church, and find links to articles from the news source, News Monitor

A look back at First Lutheran Church of Fairmount, ND

Written by: Vicki Peihl

It’s always sad to hear about a church closing its doors. I dug out the file for First English and wrote a brief history about the church. Some of the dates are approximate for the pastors. 


It was interesting to learn that worship began in Fairmount back in 1901 by Pastor T. Hinck and followed by Pastor J. Koerber. Pastor Koerber would ride his bike from Hankinson to Fairmount to lead worship (a distance of about 15 miles). The church became incorporated in 1904 and took the name of St. Paul. Pastor Zerzen came in 1905 but by 1908 people had moved away and the church closed. 


Mission work again started up in 1925 in the town hall in Fairmount led by Pastor W. E. Rohe. Soon they needed more room and were able to use the Baptist church in Fairmount. By 1933 Pastor Schumacher, who was the preacher at St. John’s in Summit Township, helped the Fairmount congregation to organize once again. The members were eager to build their own church and in 1941 a cornerstone was laid, and the church was constructed with many members volunteering their help.


Pastor F. A. Rubbert served both Fairmount and Tyler from 1942-1953. Pastor H. Schaefer was next from 1954-1956 followed by Pastor E. Temme 1957-1959. He was the first pastor to live in the new parsonage in 1958. In 1960 the church dissolved the dual parish with Summit Township. Pastor Richard Borchers was the pastor.


A shocking event happened in 1964 when a destructive tornado destroyed both the church and the parsonage. The church was quickly rebuilt, made about 10 feet longer and was dedicated in 1965.


In 1967 Pastor Harold Vetter was installed and he was followed by Pastor Bruce Holstein in 1974. Pastor Ronald Carnicom was installed in 1995 when First English and Trinity of Great Bend formed a dual parish. Pastor Anthony Ahrendt was pastor from 2006 -2016. The dual parish dissolved during that time. 


Pastor Larry Schmidt came in 2017. After he retired in 2021, Pastor Matthew Tooman from Immanual, Wahpeton, filled the vacancy.  He was installed on March 19th, 2023 on which date First Lutheran Church became a dual parish with Immanuel Lutheran Church in Wahpeton. 


Blessed be the memories of First English and please keep the families in prayer as they move forward from their beloved church.

First english Lutheran Church Final Service news Coverage 

News Monitor (news source), written by Bobbi Steffans June 3, 2024 

  Click to read more

First english LUtheran Church closing news coverage

News Monitor (news source), written by Kristian Wagner, December 3, 2023

  click to read more